The parish Church of St Nicholas dates from the 14th century and has been designated as a Grade II* listed building.
Family Service: a more informal service, suitable for everyone
Every second Sunday at 11:00 AM
Every fourth Sunday at 11:00 AM
The Camelot Parishes Office
6, The Close
St Nicholas Church, Holton
Last Night of the Proms
The Wincanton Silver Band
St Nicholas', Holton
Sunday 15th November
Call Barry: 01963 32003
Church of St Nicholas
ST62NE HOLTON CP 3/26 Church of St Nicholas 24.3.61 GV II* Parish church. C14 and later. Local stone rubble with Cary stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slates with coped East gable to chancel and plain gables to North aisle, plain clay tiles with simple gable to nave. 3-cell plan with 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave and North aisle, with South porch and West Tower and vestry extension to North aisle. Chancel plain, with almost round headed C16 style 3-light traceried East window, and 2-light window in flat topped recess in South wall, East of which is an ogee arched doorway. North aisle has 2-light flat head window in East wall and a pair of C19 2- light traceried pointed windows with labels in North wall, divided off by full height offset buttresses. Nave has similar windows to South wall; between which is the porch with coped gable crowned with block type sundial; moulded arch of near semi-circular form, with plain chamfered pointed inner arch. Tower simple, probably C14, in 2 stages; plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets to most of lower stage, string courses, the upper with corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet; small 2-light window with cusped heads under flat arch without label low in West wall; slit window to belfry window high in stage-1, South wall; North wall plain; stage-2 has a single 2-light traceried window without label to each face; snall lean-to against North side. Inside, the chancel mostly C19 in character, with pseudo 3-centred arch to organ chamber in North wall; the wide chancel arch could be C14. The nave has a C15 style arcade into the North aisle, added in 1888, using panelled arches. Fittings include a plain tub type of font, possibly C12, and an octagonal plan pulpit front with panel tracery, probably C15. (Pevsner, N; Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958)
From the website editor: The text on this page is here as an example - particularly the text on the left.
There will be different text when the website is finished.